One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Yellow Underwear, Grapes and Luggage

Here in Perú, they don’t practice “New Year’s Resolutions.” There’s no New Year’s Eve kiss. However, there are some traditions, most of which are performed at the strike of midnight, that are supposed to bring good fortune in the year to come.

1. Take a hot shower with a bunch of herbs. Cleans out the system- better health and prosperity for the  year to come.
2. Put 12 grapes under the table. At midnight, eat each one separately with an accompanying wish for each grape that you desire to come true in the year to come.
3. If going on a big trip in the coming year, pack your suitcases and run around the block several times (with them) at the strike of midnight – brings safe travels.
4. Tie three knots in a string and put it on like a bracelet. When the knots break, your wish will come true.
5. Wear yellow underwear on New Year’s Eve for happiness in the year to come. (EVERYONE is selling yellow underwear right now!)
6. Run up the stairs and throw money down from the top to guarantee financial success in the year to come.
7. Put glasses in your pocket or wallet for good luck in money in the year to come.
8. Write down bad events of the previous year, construct a doll, put the papers inside, and burn it! – Fresh start in the new year.

My host sisters also told me that you will also have great luck if you pour a bucket of cold water over your head at midnight! And that the beaches in Perú are topless…. HA! Needless to say, I got my facts checked for #1-8, just to make sure! ☺

You usually only do one of the traditions… but I think that to increase my odds, at the strike of midnight, in my yellow underwear, I’ll run around the block 12 times with my luggage, each time stopping to eat a grape from under the table.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM and BRITT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Suitcases are a must since we have a lot of travelling in our future! Feliz Año Nuevo!

    ReplyDelete