One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Monday, December 20, 2010

Monkey in a Cage

One of my biggest challenges with living in Peru has been in finding ways to exercise. It’s a bad idea to walk around the neighborhood during the day, let alone to go for a run! And yoga videos, Billy’s boot camp, jumping jacks and self-invented circuits loose their appeal pretty quickly in my little bedroom. So, I’ve been going into “town” 1-2 times a week to use a gym. At first I felt kind of guilty about it – after all, it’s not a financial option for the overwhelming majority of people in my area. But, for my own mental health and stress relief I decided it was probably a good idea. Plus, when I found out that they had hot showers, it was a done deal!

I’ve had a lot of interesting moments at the gym so far. The first was doing a double-take as I walked by one of the TV’s - apparently it’s normal here to watch a full-nudity show while getting in some cardio! Other than that, it’s much like your average gym in the US- personal trainers, a big room for group workouts (I’m still working up the nerves to bring my non-Latino moves into the dance class), and even a juice bar! Some of the weights are a bit rusty, and there are areas where the roof has fallen in, but I would still say that it creates a few hours of luxury for me every week. Although, now that summer is here, with no air conditioning it gets pretty muggy (especially when I try to blend in by wearing Spandex).

I’ve tried out a few spinning classes, but I try to limit them as I can’t hear well again for hours afterward! (Peruvians have a thing for loud music). One of the spinning instructors also likes to scream into her headset wildly and hop up and down, but she never gets on the bike. Sometimes she runs around the room and cranks up the resistance on peoples bikes without warning too! My first day she avoided me like the plague and gave me strange looks the whole time but she’s gradually warmed up to me and includes me in the madness now.

The gym has a few treadmills that are located by the front windows, or the area I refer to as “The Zoo.” It looks like a nice area to get some people-watching in as there is a lot of foot traffic on the street outside. However, it’s quite the contrary - it just makes me feel like a monkey in a cage. Old men, young women, old women, young men, children – you name it – are intrigued by the gringa running on the treadmill. People stop dead in their tracks and point, or walk up to the glass and just stand there! Sometimes cars even slow to a stop. I don’t get it. Yes, I am white. Yes, I am actually running on the treadmill (most people here just walk on it).

I am always trying to find ways to blend in, but the truth is I don’t think it will ever happen here. No amount of sunbathing or Spanish practice will do the trick, and I’ve come to accept it. (Although most people I meet here ask if I am from Spain, which is progress!) But, I hoped that after a few months of life in Perú, the constant stares/pointing/whispers would slow down. Not a big fan of unwanted attention, so this is yet another reason that my patience should (hopefully) increase in bounds this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment