One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Profesora?

Practicing techniques in last month's talk on low back pain
Public speaking is definitely not one of my favorite things… and especially in Spanish. However, my comfort zone boundaries are changing rapidly with my experiences here in Peru! What began as one PT asking me to do a little chat on Scoliosis has turned into a whirlwind of monthly courses, “lecture/lab” sessions at different hospitals, and the planning of a 2-day international conference. Tonight over forty people attended a 2-hour talk on shoulder examination in physical therapy. I’m excited by the interest and each month seems to get better and better as far as the speaking part goes. (Although tonight, I accidently said “hombre,” man, instead of “hombro,” shoulder, at one point… Translated, “It’s important that we do a neurological check with every man that we see!”) Whoops! I’m glad that Peruvians are so patient, and have such a great sense of humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment