One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Pisco Sour


Perú’s most famous beverage is the pisco sour. It also happens to be a personal favorite. February 5th was an important holiday here, National Pisco Day! We celebrated with home-made Pisco’s and a game night (“Uno” was a big hit!) Pisco sour is grape brandy mixed with lime juice. It’s got a nice kick to it, and the egg white froth sounds strange but makes the perfect finishing touch. I’m pretty sure they sell bottles of Pisco in the US… try one yourself:


¼ cup Pisco
1 tablespoon sugar – dissolved with a little heat and water
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon pasteurized egg whites
3 ice cubes

Mix all ingredients in blender. Serve with a wedge of lime and a sprinkling of cinnamon on top.
SALUD!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alaskan Amber,

    My name is Abhi Gupta and I'm an undergraduate at Yale University. I am hoping to come to Trujillo, Peru for 8 weeks this summer through FIMRC (Foundation for the International Medical Relief of Children) in order to volunteer and conduct an independent research study. I am currently in the process of designing my study. I just randomly stumbled upon your blog here on Blogger, and was fascinated by the experiences you have had as a PT trainer on this year-long mission. Since I am currently designing my project, I was wondering (if you have any free time at all), if I could hear from you about what kinds of things have stood out to you in Peru that may be different from or even replicated in the U.S. My e-mail is abhinav.gupta@yale.edu -- any comments or experiences that you'd like to talk about is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, and look forward to hearing from you,

    Abhi

    ReplyDelete