One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beware of Dog(s)

There are a lot of wild dogs that roam the streets here. Some of them are big and scary but others surprisingly look more like lost grungy domesticated poodles! There's a breed called the Peruvian Inca Orchid, or Peruvian hairless dog (see picture below) that sometimes makes an appearance in my neighborhood too.

Peruvian Hairless Dog Spotting near Trujillo

Generally, they pay little attention to me, and vice-versa. However, the other day, I had my first dog attack! I was out running in my neighborhood (yes, with someone else, and yes, with my pepper spray, mom!) Luckily, it was just a little guy who chomped on my shoe and didn’t break the skin, and one big kick to the face was all it took to get it to stop. Suddenly wondering if I should have considered that rabies vaccine after all.

So, in addition to watching out for water balloons and other Carnaval acts of mischief, I now have a heightened wariness for the dogs. I try not to let my guard down for people either… I’ve had a few attempted robberies in my neighborhood. Most recently, I was carrying a bag and a guy in a moto-taxi swung out of the back trying to snatch it as they drove by.

Ah well, never a dull moment here… but between dogs, water balloons, motor vehicles, and people, let’s just say that neighborhood strolls are not exactly relaxing!

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't have kicked this gorgeous dog in the face; beast! Have some respect. You invaded his territory and he was just protecting the terrain. Shame on you for bragging about this.

    ReplyDelete