One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

More Thank You's!

I’m feeling extremely blessed to have so much support down here from contacts in the US. I want to thank an extremely generous anonymous donor for sending down equipment to properly fit the children of Colegio Sagrada Familia in their wheelchairs. This donor sent a variety of seats, cushions, trunk/head supports etc. so that we could make the kids more comfortable. This type of equipment is only occasionally available in Lima (and it’s not cheap!) so if it weren’t for the donations, the kids would remain in miserable postures with only pillows attempting to support them for the majority of their waking hours each day.
Before...
and After!
I felt like Santa Claus as I took each kid out of the classroom for the fitting! It was a lot of fun working with my Peruvian colleagues to select the proper set-up for each individual. It was even more incredible to see the results – the kids were visibly more comfortable, relaxed and full of joy with their new additions – and more able to interact and access their environment. It’s amazing what a few small changes can do to improve one’s quality of life. One of the kids, pictured, frequents the clinic regularly, and I’ve already seen vast improvements in his head control, trunk control and spasticity since we performed the wheelchair modifications. We even have some equipment left over which we plan to use in a new project in the neighboring community of Winchinzao over these next few months.

So, MUCHAS GRACIAS to my anonymous donor! (Also, thanks Mom and Dad for hand-carrying the equipment down to Peru and getting it through customs!)

No comments:

Post a Comment