One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dia del Trabajador

Happy “worker’s day!!” Apparently, today is another federal holiday. I am loving all of these days of celebration. I thought Dia de la Mujer (women's day) was pretty great, but this one takes the cake! I've got to wonder what Peruvians would think of some of our American party days - Superbowl Sunday? 4th of July?

The festivities started yesterday morning with beer and parties, and carried on through the night. Mid-day today they had a small break for a nap, but resumed festivities this afternoon and are still going as I speak. (I can attest to this by the neighbors’ music level, though I decided to sit this one out and try to have a productive work weekend.)

Whenever this holiday falls on a Sunday, people are upset that they don’t actually get a day off work, so it seems they unofficially elect the following Monday off as well! (But- by unofficial- I mean that many businesses and all of the schools are closed Monday too). Not surprisingly, I didn’t quite get the memo in time … I’d already scheduled a full list of patients to see tomorrow, whoops!

Peruvians themselves will joke about how many holidays and days off work they get. Friendship day, mother's day, father's day, women's day, children's day, lover's day, worker's day, etc. - and usually the kids get each respective day of school off (or the preceding Friday/following Monday!) By the time you add in religious holidays (Saints days, holy week, Christmas, etc.) - the calender is blooming with holidays! You definitely won't hear me complaining :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's always nice to have an excuse to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete