One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

MI CASA ES TU CASA

I’ve been overwhelmed by the amazing hospitality here. On day five I made a switch to a new casa a few blocks from my old one, for various reasons, the most important being that I did not have access to the kitchen at all. Now I’m living with (rough estimate) about 15 people, but I’m not entirely sure because I haven’t met everyone yet and a lot of people come and go. It’s an outdoor design similar to the previous house, but has a bigger living space, a little more privacy, and a lot more safety. I am very grateful for the switch as now I can have meals and use a table to study more regularly! Also, the family is incredible. The mother, Nelly, and her two daughters Karito and Betsy, plus various aunts live in my section of the house. Upstairs are aunts and cousins, and through a connecting door are aunts, cousins and occasionally the father (he works in a fishing town so is only home a few time a week). People are always here and there is always something going on. All of the girls (ages range from 6 to 22) are studying English, so we have “clases” together and in return they help me with my Castellano! Mi familia has been nothing but generous and incredibly helpful and I feel so very grateful.

Peruana Cosita Importante Numero 4: The greeting here is a kiss on one cheek. If you show up to a party or gathering, everyone in the room stands up and forms a line to greet you in this manner, even if there are 30 people in the room!

The friendliness of people on the streets has also been improving. Apparently I am the first white person to visit this neighborhood, let alone live here. At first, I felt like everyone- even the perritos (dogs)!- stared at me. This is my first experience in another country completely away from a group, so the stares took a little more getting used to than I expected. It’s been hard to crack smiles or hellos from most of the people I see on the street, but I’m making some progess, slowly. Peruvians seem to hold a lot of stress of daily hardships in their faces, but once you get to know them, everyone is so friendly. I am hoping that now that I am with a huge family, will be attending the local church, and starting work on Monday, people will associate me with something good and maybe the street vibes will improve. My biggest struggle so far is with lack of exercise- I was hoping to walk every day but I am constantly warned by everyone I meet that it is extremely unsafe, even during the day. However, my “sisters” Karito and Betsy have already asked me to teach exercise and yoga “clases” in the casa, so surely I’ll adapt to new methods of exercise this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment