One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Initial Impressions

I’ve likened my first impression of my neighborhood to a cross between Mexico and Ethiopia- I know, sounds strange! Everyone here seems to have a cell phone and TV, no matter what their financial situation. The visible poverty seems less than Ethiopia at first glance- less beggars in the streets. The buildings and markets remind me more of Mexico, and Catholicism is most common here, like Mexico. The little mototaxis remind me of what we saw in Africa everywhere. No donkeys pulling carts in the big city here, but lots and lots of homeless dogs, like both places. My neighborhood is notorious for its crime but so far I have not been harassed or felt threatened, but I am cautious and do not venture out alone at night. The brown dirt that lines the streets somehow finds its way into everything, and the road conditions in La Esperanza are poor- watch your step all the time! The homes are unfinished on top, like the ones I saw in Mexico. (In Mexico it was so that you didn’t have to pay taxes on them- maybe the same reasoning here?) A lot of brick and cement exteriors on the houses, and barred doors/windows. The traffic is loud, always sirens and horns blaring. I am about one block from the main road and 5 blocks from the clinic/church. The driving is probably the scariest part, I still hold my breath when I get into a taxi, as I did in Ethiopia, but I suppose I will adjust to the crazy drivers and lack of seatbelts.

The housing situation took some getting used to, but now it feels more like home. It’s an outdoor design – only the bedrooms and kitchen are completely enclosed. I feel very fortunate to have plumbing and electricity! Frigid showers (no exageration) and no bathroom mirror, which means minimal getting ready time for me in the morning! No heating which is not a problem now but could get pretty cold come winter, especially with the holes in my door. There are cucharachas- my least favorite bug- and the little girl in the room next to mine screams for several minutes every time she sees one (and I almost do the same!) My room consists of a short twin bed and a small bedside table, a see-through curtain, and cold dirty floors- no desk, chair, closet. It’s funny the amenities you are so used to in the US– but really, after a few days, I’ve realized that I don’t need them! There are a few things that I still miss, including toilet paper- a rarity here.

Peruana Cosita Importante Numero 2: Glad I packed… slippers (thanks Cathleen!), long underwear, a small mirror (so I don’t develop a uni-brow), a reading light, my yoga mat, and my Steri-pen.

*If you don’t have a Steri-Pen and are an international traveler I highly recommend it! It saves the environment- No need to buy bottled water as the little UV light supposedly kills all the bad stuff. The water tastes a bit funky but so far, no stomach problems!

They say that similar to mourning, you go through different phases when moving to a new country by yourself. The first is a few days period of excitement and awe, followed by a longer period of depression, possibly several weeks, before you adjust. Maybe because I’ve been fortunate to travel a lot before this, my “depression” phase lasted about 5 hours, and now I feel pretty adjusted. I’m so grateful for the hospitality of my host dad and the friendship of Hermana Sandra (she is hilarious!) and the other nuns and hospital staff, who have helped tremendously. They’ve made my transition very smooth and I already feel pretty comfortable in this new culture!

2 comments:

  1. Yah Amber, you made it! I'm sure the people in Trujillo are super grateful for your wonderful service and skills. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughhh... Remember the cucharacha in our room in Costa Rica?! Sick! I wish I had that video some where! Good call on the mirror ;)! Love you!

    ReplyDelete