One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Monday, September 27, 2010

Fundraising Results!

First of all, MUCHAS GRACIAS to all of you who have supported me through the last several weeks- financially, through equipment donations, Spanish tutoring, or in any other way. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to the enormous outpouring from my family, friends and parishioners at St. Pat’s.

There’s been so much enthusiasm that a number of individuals have approached me inquiring about sending down short-term volunteers to where I will be working during my year of service. I am not sure about the feasibility of this idea yet, but will update on this in the future!

The fundraising efforts were a huge success. At one weekend of masses, St. Patrick’s Parish contributed $3188 in cash/checks alone! The online donations surpassed my goal of 8,000 at $8,750, thus bringing the total to $11,938.00!!!

I’d specifically like to thank the incredibly gracious gift of one anonymous donor, who has pledged a very large amount to help make this trip possible → I would not have felt financially able to commit to one year without your initiative, I’m very humbled and touched by your contribution, and promise that I won’t let you down!

The equipment donations have also been extremely successful. I’d specifically like to thank:
Eric and Lisa Reimer
Robert McClune, Robin Wahto and UAA Allied Health
Grace who connected me with Michael Friend / Access Alaska
Tom Bruce
Anonymous donor of pediatric equipment
Sports Authority
Alec Kay / United Physical Therapy
Boyd Esplin and Heather Brown / Chugach Physical Therapy
Linda Rose Weppner, Esther Petrie and Providence Hospital

And, the many anonymous donors who left items in my collection box!

Also, my excellent Spanish tutor:
Cecilia Plascencia

I am still blown away by how supportive my community has been with this endeavor. The monetary donations will help tremendously with the aims of improving the access, education and quality of healthcare in the community. The physical donations will provide a solid foundation for fostering evidence-based PT care in the La Esperanza area.

No comments:

Post a Comment