One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Monday, April 30, 2012

Peru, Take Two!

Great news- I couldn't get enough of Peru, so I am thrilled to announce that in three months I will be headed back! Unfortunately this time I will only get to stay 3 weeks, but hey, better than nothing.

This year I'm going down with a group of Regis DPT students and faculty Nancy Mulligan. Similar to last year, as a service learning trip, the students will do some touring of healthcare facilities and meet with leaders at the Peru Ministry of Health in Lima, before heading to northern Peru to help with CMMB's public health project "Rehabilitación con Esperanza." There, students will assist with outcomes collection and the training of community agents, PT's, and families/caregivers of 20 children with disabilities who are currently enrolled in the project. We also aim to strengthen our collaborative relationship between Regis and two of the local universities in Trujillo.

The students will also join two physical therapist volunteers from the US, Sarah Ingram and Cindy Potter, to lead a 2-day international continuing education conference in Trujillo with a focus on physical therapy examination/evaluation/treatment of neurological conditions (specifically cerebral palsy and stroke, the two most common neurological pathologies found in northern Peru) - August 11-12, 2012.

Of course, I'll be heading down early to make time to see my family and friends in La Esperanza - and get my share of mama Nelly's aji and home cooking too! ;) Can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment