One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

QUÉ RICO!


Today I savored one of my favorite Peruvian foods, yet again... CEVICHE! Now that my days left in Perú are numbered, I have even more of an excuse to splurge on my favorite local culinary dishes. :) (Not that I needed one.)

Ceviche de Pescado:
White fish marinated in lime juice
Aji (spicy pepper sauce)
Cebolla (sweet red onion)
Choclo (big corn kernels)
Yuca (cassava - starchy tuberous root)
Camote (sweet potato)

Yes, the fish is technically raw, but it's cooked a little from the lime juice. Peruvians swear it's a great hangover cure. I think it's great for any day - and best accompanied by a big pitcher of chicha morada (juice made from purple corn). If you ever visit Perú, you MUST try this dish - (and on the northern coast! It's not as good in Lima!) 

RIQUÍSSIMO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment