One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Election Day!

Peruvians love to talk politics. Fortunately, down here the Sarah Palin jokes are kept to a minimum, (it’s amazing how much Peruvians know about Alaska!) although I still get them from time to time, in addition to Obama comments! (Which are overwhelmingly unfavorable... they say that Obama made a lot of promises to the Latino population that he never fulfilled.) Okay, yeah, moving on…

The Perú 2011 elections have been the heart of many conversations since my arrival back in October. Here, you find advertisements for candidates painted or posted on nearly every wall, building, bus, truck, home, teenager, etc. It’s completely legal for parties to pay home and business owners to display their logos.

Presidential elections happen every 5 years, and the next one – the Primaries - are this coming Sunday. Prices on transportation have already risen, because Peruvians are required to vote in the place where they originally registered (even if decades ago), and regardless of whether it’s in another part of the country. (If they don’t go, they have to pay a huge fine!)

It seems that no-one is too concerned about election-time violence or riots, which is a relief. My very first day in this country fell on a smaller election day, and all I remember is walking around in a culture-shocked daze and seeing armed men everywhere!

I’ve been asked three times in the last week who I am going to vote for, which I find hilarious. I feel like I still stand out terribly here, but maybe I am actually starting to blend in, because people have also started asking me if I’m from Lima! (Limenians have lighter skin and hair. YES – Mission Become Peruvian nearly accomplished!)

But, I’m glad I don’t have to vote, because the choices are a bit overwhelming. There are 10 candidates for President. Every time I tune in, someone else seems to have made a big break in the polls. Last I checked, it was pretty close – there were four people hovering all between 15-20% popularity each. Keiko has been pretty popular – and if elected would become the first female President of Perú. Castañeda and Toledo are also up there, and PPK and Ollanta seem to be gaining some late momentum. I guess only time will tell… I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I usually only vote if I am truly passionate about the issue's or the person running. Hope whoever wins will work in the best interest for the people. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete