One Year. One Physical Therapist in Trujillo, Peru.

Combining passions of global public health with travel and cultural immersion... With the help of the Catholic Medical Mission Board, I was afforded the opportunity to live outside of Trujillo, Peru for one year's time (2010-2011). Check out old posts about my experiences as a PT working in hospitals, a school, an outpatient clinic, doing research/community based rehabilitation, and a little teaching too. And my experiences with an entire calendar year of holidays, cultural customs and new culinary experiences!

I make it back about once a year with university students/CMMB projects, so I will periodically provide updates :)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Introduccion

Thanks for checking out my blog! I’m so excited to begin this new chapter of my life and hope that you will share this site with friends and periodically return for updates.

As I prepared for graduation this spring - immediately following my return from a month of work in Africa, I couldn’t help but feel a disconnect from American culture and the notion that I am meant to begin my work as a new physical therapist in another country. I didn’t quite understand why, but I knew that I was being called to do something different than my peers with the start of my career. One evening I stumbled across the CMMB website and had the eerie yet calming feeling that somehow I needed to contact them immediately. I toyed with the idea of taking other jobs but ultimately I had a nagging feeling that it was now or never for working abroad. I am very blessed to be in a position where I can afford to do this!

And, sitting here a few months later, I’m sending in my Visa application and preparing for my October departure! I can’t help but feel pretty under-qualified for the job – I have no experience in public health programs and my Spanish is pretty scary – but at the same time, what I can offer will be better than this community receiving nothing. My experiences in Africa reminded me that I am so lucky to have an excellent educational background, and that language and cultural differences can be bridged easily with the appropriate attitude. I know I will gain so much personally and professionally from this experience and can’t wait to dive right on in!

No comments:

Post a Comment